Friday, May 22, 2009

Egg Donation for IVF: A Dangerous Thing

On the topic of IVF, there are serious risks for egg donors which do not get mentioned in mainstream media outlets.

Here is the opening of the testimony of a woman who has suffered much because of a decision to donate eggs when she was 29:

In 2002, when I was 29 and in my graduate career, I found myself desperate for a few thousand dollars. I was all-but-dissertation for a PhD in biology. I had a part-time job at the university making about $800 a month. Somehow I never had time to work on my dissertation. I had been a graduate student for more than eight years, my studies were keeping me away from a guy I loved who lived in another city, and my dissertation was stretching out because I couldn't get time in my schedule to write. I was sick and tired of being poor, demoralized from graduate school and the harsh criticism that goes with it, and I desperately wanted to get on with my life. I had seen ads in the free entertainment newspaper paying "$3,000 for Egg Donors" I was only making $10,000 to $12,000 a year, so this seemed like a fortune to me. And why not make money from something I wasn't using?

Read the rest of "Woman X: My Story as an Egg Donor," here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for civil and well-considered comments!